Thursday, November 13, 2008

Flashback

In the seventh grade, I remember telling a girl that she was beautiful and that if I were a guy, I would date her. And she was beautiful. Golden brown hair, bright green eyes, contagious laugh. Of course, within seconds, the entire school started calling me a lesbian: it was considered "name-calling" because I was incredibly insulted.

Even if it's what you are, to be labeled as "other" by your peers, especially during a time when you want nothing more than to be invisible. For the fat girl to be invisible was such a huge accomplishment. The only attention I remember getting from my peers focused solely on my boobs- the fat in my chest.

For the fat girl to be heard was equally unattainable. I played Edmund in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in 7th grade; I wasn't even pretty enough to play the wicked witch. I was onstage, mocking myself, destroying the lives of people I loved for a dessert that would love me back. I pushed people away, kept things superficial, lying to everyone and myself. But at least as Edmund, I could play up the angle of being sexually attracted to the witch: if you have a dick, that's allowed.

Today, I still don't like the label "lesbian." Just call me a big ol' "dyke."

1 comment:

InvisibleOne said...

Edmund... nice... it's so funny how things from the past can turn out to be so symbolic, even if you don't see it at the time or ignore your reasons for doing things.